In the year 1878, Charles August Curtze opened his wholesale business, supplying foods and other merchandise to the retail merchants and the growing number of oil and lumber camps of that era.
In 1878, Erie was a fast growing port city of twenty six thousand and there were forty seven million people in the United States. General Grant had recently left the office of president, General Custer had just made his famous last stand, Edison was about to invent the light bulb, and the railroads were rapidly taking over the transportation duties of stagecoaches and canals. Change, progress, and dedication to the needs and well being of customers were the watchwords of the C.A. Curtze Company in those days. That same philosophy has been carefully adhered to by the four generations that have followed.
"We at the C.A. Curtze Company are totally dedicated to the Food Service industry and welcome the opportunity to serve you, our valued and respected customer."
In 1960, the C.A. Curtze Company made the decision to devote 100% of its energies and resources to the rapidly growing and changing "Food Service" market.
From those humble beginnings including gunpowder, barrels of flour, and the horse drawn wagon, the company has grown into a full line food service distributor that distributes thousands of items from a modern 2 1/2 acre distribution center. In addition to canned goods, frozen foods, paper products, chemicals, equipment, supplies and other staples, the company features fine fresh meat, fresh seafood and fresh produce. Specialty steak Service, the fresh meat division of Curtze, expanded in 1992 to its present 75,000 sq. ft. production facility.
Since 1878..and still Innovating.